A GP referral to a medical specialist allows you to claim a Medicare rebate for your specialist consultation. Patients can request a repeat referral from their GP to their medical specialist by calling the practice on 4284 4622 or via HotDoc.
Conditions for repeat referral requests:
- It is unlawful to backdate referrals, doing so would breach the Commonwealth Health Insurance Act.
- We can only provide repeat referrals to medical specialists that you have seen previously.
- Your GP may not be able to provide a repeat referral if they have not seen you recently.
- Each referral request is assessed by your doctor who will approve or decline the request on clinical grounds. If the request is declined, you will be advised to make an appointment in-person.
- Requests for referrals may take up to three business days to be processed. This is subject to your regular doctor consulting on the day of receiving the request and having approved the request on clinical grounds.
- A fee is charged for each request, which is to be paid on request via HotDoc.